A 12 part series on what to do to keep your bedroom in tip top shape all year...
October in Australia is public holidays, the beginning of Daylight Saving (for states lucky enough to have it) and warmer weather. It is when the bedroom becomes a beautiful, light filled sanctuary, rather than the warm snug over winter.
Halloween on the 31st of October is the perfect excuse for re-purposing and throwing out old sheets and bed linen. Repurpose old blankets by going fancy dress as a Mexican, or as a cowboy. But also, consider classic fancy dress sheet outfits such as
- a ghost (big imagination here),
- a Roman Emperor
- tear them up and go as a mummy.
- Combine with some old pillows as go as Michelin man or Marshmallow Guy (for all you Frozen fans)
- You can actually tear sheeting into strips and plait it for Heidi type hair
- If you are handy with costumes or sewing, you can use the sheets to create a Rey from Starwars costume
- Sheets can also make great cheap decorating accessories. Get the kids to draw spiders and cobwebs on them and drape them in hallways and doors for people to have to walk through
It is also a particular pleasure to start creating plans for summer!
Things to do in October include:
- get your winter duvet cleaned and stored.
- put away the kids' fleece sheets (and yours if you have them)
- consider lightening up the bedroom colour scheme, and adding newer lighter weight linen
- purchase some linen spray or fresh floral scented candles to freshen up the mood
- have your air conditioners checked, serviced or replaced before the heat kicks in and you have to wait for service
Image source: Real Living Magazine